When you think of October, you probably think of falling leaves and Halloween. But did you know that today is National Flex Day? Held the third Tuesday of October, National Flex Day is designed to encourage employers and employees to unite behind the need for more flexibility by sharing how pervasive and powerful it already is.
Today is a great opportunity to reflect on all the ways that flexible working is important and how it can benefit your employees and organisation.
For the first National Flex Day in 2013, The Working Mother Research Institute surveyed more than 1,500 people about flexible work schedules and found that women who are working flexibly were more likely to say:
- Their opinions count at work
- They have influence over their work schedules
- They have better work life balance
- They are satisfied with their compensation
- They are happy with the amount of time they spend with their spouses and their kids
Last year, they surveyed men to find out what work schedule flex means to them, and the results showed that most of them have flex (77%) and feel comfortable using it.
Below are some of the many benefits of flexible working:
- Reduced employee stress
- Improved employee morale, job satisfaction and productivity
- Controlled costs
- Reduced absenteeism
- Increased customer loyalty and customer satisfaction due to lower staff turnover
- Higher productivity & happier employees
- Improved balance of work and family life
- Remove or reduce overtime
- Improved staff concentration
Are you aware that October is also National Work and Family Month (NWFM)? It is an education campaign led by the Alliance for work-life progress, to raise awareness among employers about the value of work-life effectiveness as a business imperative.
This campaign is supported by President Obama, who released a statement acknowledging the difficulty of juggling work and family responsibilities. He encourages employers to implement practices such as "telework, paid leave, and alternative work schedules."
This annual celebration is designed to communicate and celebrate the progress towards creating healthier and more flexible work environments. The main goal of the campaign is to remind employers about the benefits of supporting work-life balance and effectiveness programs.
Below are some tips on how to encourage a healthy work-life balance:
- Make use of flexible working
- Schedule downtime
- Get moving - execrise will boost your energy & can it can be fit in easily with flexible working
- Manage stress - Take up yoga/pilates, eat healthier & relax!
- Prioritise to avoid burnout
- Create a schedule & follow it
By taking these tips in to account, we hope you will be able to find a healthy work-life balance in your workplace.
October gives us lots to celebrate with National Flex Day and National Work & Family Month. It is a time to recognise all the organisations who want to make life easier for employees to succeed at work and at home by helping them gain a healthy work-life balance.